Sunday, May 17, 2015

Guess Who's Bishop!?

We got a call from our Stake President's secretary asking us to meet with the Stake President.  We were out of town at the time and so we were left to guess what he wanted to see both of us for until we could meet with him.

The Stake President asked if we could start our meeting with a prayer.  In that moment I knew he was going to call the "husbird" to be Bishop.  My heart fell to my stomach.  It was like I was having an out of body experience, like it wasn't real.  I felt an immediate increase of love for my husband, knowing what a responsibility this would be for him, for us.  After the Stake President went over what all of his new responsibilities would be (which are many) we left with a "deer in the headlights" look on our faces.  The word overwhelmed is an understatement when it comes to how I was feeling.  We didn't say much to each other on the drive home.  

The first couple of days we were in shock and had many heart to heart talks.  I had an upset stomach and couldn't concentrate on just about anything.  As the week went on I got more and more used to the thought of the "husbird" being Bishop.  Even though I felt a ton of nervous energy as Sunday approached I also felt a calm, peaceful feeling.  
IMG_1782 The big day arrived, when the "husbird" would be sustained and set apart as bishop.  The Stake President called me up to sit on the stand.  He asked me to say a few words right before the "husbird" spoke.  I do not enjoy speaking in front of people.  I felt unusually comfortable while speaking, not like I want to do it again, but better than I normally do.  I hope that means it will be easier the next time I need to do it.  After the meeting was over I felt an unexpected outpouring of support and love from so many people.  The long hugs and kind words meant the world to the Bishop and I.  

It is so weird to call the "husbird" Bishop and is going to take some getting used to.  It's also going to take some time getting adjusted to him being gone at least three days a week, two nights and all day Sunday, if not more for other ward events and activities.  I'm not sure I will ever get used to that.  I know he is doing good by serving the people of our ward and even though it is a sacrifice to have him gone it couldn't be for a better reason. I might need to repeat that statement to myself when times are hard, when I really need his help and don't feel like I can do the things I need to on my own.  Even though it will be challenging to have him gone so much, I know we will be blessed for his service.  

If you have questions about what a bishop is or want to know more click here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails